Close

October 16, 2016

HORN TO FILE FORMAL ETHICS COMPLAINT OVER HASSAN PAY-TO-PLAY SCANDAL

UNION LEADER: “THE FIX WAS IN”

HORN TO FILE FORMAL ETHICS COMPLAINT OVER HASSAN PAY-TO-PLAY SCANDAL

 Demands Investigation Into Allegations Of Collusion, Awarding of Contracts To Campaign Donors

10/16/2016

CONCORD – Today, NHGOP Chair Jennifer Horn announced that she would file a complaint with the state’s Executive Branch Ethics Committee and ask them to investigate the growing pay-to-play scandal engulfing the Hassan administration.

The scandal deepened on Sunday when both the Union Leader and the Nashua Telegraph reported that state employees and Dartmouth-Hitchcock employees colluded on the awarding of a $36.5 million contract, with the Union Leader reporting that the emails suggest that “the fix was in”.

The matter was compounded by the fact the DHHS Commissioner Jeffrey Meyers deliberately lied about the matter when Councilor Chris Sununu asked about it an Executive Council meeting where the Dartmouth-Hitchcock contract was being debated.

The Dartmouth-Hitchcock collusion joins a growing list of pay-to-play scandals, including the controversy surrounding Centene, and Fedcap’s use of a defunct New Hampshire organization as a front to hide the fact that contracts were being awarded to an out-of-state conglomerate.

Horn said her ethics complaints would involve all of these.

“This pay-to-play scandal is starting to snowball, with new revelations coming out every day revealing how Governor Hassan has used state government as her personal ATM, scheming to award no bid contracts to her campaign donors,” said Horn.  “The news today that state employees blatantly colluded with Dartmouth-Hitchcock crosses the line from unethical to blatantly illegal.”

Horn also hit Hassan for the ongoing cover-up, saying, “It is absolutely astounding that the governor’s hand-picked DHHS commissioner would blatantly lie to the Executive Council as they debated the Dartmouth-Hitchcock contract, saying that there wasn’t any collusion when we now find out that there was.  And when reporters tried to get to the bottom of the situation by filing Right-To-Know requests, the response was heavily redacted, with 80 full pages completely blacked out.  Employees are even resigning hours after Right-To-Know requests are filed, as David Folks did last month.  This is a cover-up on a grand scale, and Governor Hassan should be ashamed.”

###